Children learn most on meaningful activities

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Reflection in "Special Children are Truly 'Special'"


 “Special” Children are Truly Special
By  Emma A. Ventil

I have learned greater truths in the years I have worked with individuals who have special needs than in the years I spent in the academe. The wisdom is sought did not automatically come from the certificate and diplomas although they helped mold my understanding. I found wisdom in the most unlikely places. Who would have thought that in the end, it is the teacher who learns.
Before I began teaching, I have grand notion of pushing children with autism to their limits. Guiding adolescents with Down’s syndrome to be all they can become, and helping adults with mental retardation maximize their potentials. The universe however, has a wonderful and beautiful way of enhancing plans. It dawned on me then that I was not just here to teach. I was here to learn.
These individuals made me courageous, creative, curious, dedicated, determined, forgiving, open, patient, receptive, sympathetic, and understanding. They carry with them the gifts of faith, trust, uniqueness, and wisdom. But most of all, they know more about acceptance, genuineness, and unconditional love than anyone of us.
In their little ways, they uplift souls, ease troubled minds, calm spirits, affirm good works, and acknowledge one’s presence – all without expecting any reward. It is 100 percent authenticity.
In my chest are: Benson’s kisses, Janice’s squeal of delight, Lalaine’s sprints, Mark John’s leap, Jomar and Ara’s hesitant smiles, Joanna and May’s first words, Daisy and Donna’s big hugs, Albert’s daily greetings, Angelo’s toothy grins, Allen and Ramele’s banter,  Rosemarie’s sensibility, and so on and so forth. All wrapped in love. All given freely.
How can I not believe in angels when I work and play around them everyday/ I often wonder if they know how much they affect our lives with unadorned pleasures that otherwise go unnoticed in world that run away in haste. How can I thank them for these and the countless simple and priceless delights?
They patiently do demanding tasks. They unconditionally accept inadequate beings like me. They appreciate even things that others disregard. They touch and care for another’s soul although they are the ones who need nurturing. All in package and again is misunderstood and not accepted.
I regard my work now differently every time I come from work. It gives me a sense of fulfillment and self-worth and pride to be in good company.
It is not always an easy task. There are days when even the sunniest sun cannot chase the gray clouds away. Yet one cannot be too sad, too frustrated, or too negative around children who cry when school is out. Nothing can rival that.
                There is so much to being a special educator. That not even the most attractive compensation package can offer. Our labor and love are not rewarded with great monetary gain or fame. Often, it is even challenged by family and friends who ask, “Why do you stay?” to which I reply “because I love what I do and I am happy here.”
                I live for the sound of my name on a pupil’s lips and for encouraging words from parents. I live for wordless pats and hugs that say, “You’re okay, teacher.”
                At the end of each day, I smile and heave a sigh of contentment, happy to have been needed, feeling grateful to have been allowed to enter a world that few people see.
                It is a common myth that special children live isolated in a world of their own. Oh, no. not at all, I declare. They live in my world. And, blessing of all blessings, they allowed me to live in theirs.

From The Modern Teacher, November 2005, pg.246
Shared by :
REYNALDO, Alma V.
III-7 BEED , SPED 1
My Reflection


 Just like the author, I have also other perception about special education. At first, taking up special education hadn’t been on my mind. I just want to have an specialization. I have no choice but to go for SpEd because of my classmates’ influence. Since I know that someday, there will be students who will have learning difficulties; I decided to make this thought as a motivation to attend every session.
However, because I find the SpEd class very alive, and because I have read this article, my insights and views about special education have changed. Today, I am happy that I am not regretting with what I have chosen. I felt that God had given me this opportunity to explore my horizon, beyond the normal teaching profession; I felt that God wants me to become not only a Teacher but a teacher beyond teaching. And, It is not me that will be benefitted. It is the children who need special attention and care from the people they do not know. Just like the author, I realized some things that I never realized before. Teaching children with special needs is beyond teaching itself. It makes you feel you are not just there only to teach but to ensure their lives and make them feel they are loved. It does not require you to be academically expert. It requires you to be patient, loving and understanding. Thus, sped teaching is not an easy task.
Furthermore, I realized that teaching children with special needs is not only teaching how to sing ABC, or teaching them how to do things. You are there to learn small things that normal people are not able to see or feel. As other teacher said, with them, you will feel only authentic love and concern.
With these, I feel inspired. I became enthusiastic to be a SpEd teacher. That is why from now on, I will study harder and remember the skills and knowledge a good SpEd teacher must have so that I will be equipped for my future students.
Prepared by:
 REYNALDO, Alma V.
III- 7 BEEd. SpEd 1



No comments:

Post a Comment