Children learn most on meaningful activities

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Teacher at Heart


I truly believe that Teaching is the noblest profession because a teacher could touch a child’s life unknowingly but definitely will last until that child grows up into a productive individual. There is no doctor, lawyer, accountant, or even our leaders if it’s not because of a teacher. A teacher gives lot of personal sacrifice for the benefit of others. And a teacher never fails to do what is the best for his learners. That is why I agree with what Henry Adams says “A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops”.
When I entered the teaching profession, I already knew what lies ahead of me. I know that I would sacrifice a lot including myself. My mother is a teacher and I know how difficult it is to handle a classroom, do paper works and separate personal and professional life. However, when I was in elementary, I fall in love with teaching when I was assigned to become a little teacher of a below average classmate. It was hard for me to teach her how to read. I discovered that she was just shy and had very little interest in learning. So I make friends with her to make our sessions more fun. When she learned how to read, I became one of the happiest person who ever lived. By then, I wanted to be a teacher.
As a teacher, I do not expect myself to be an excellent teacher, though I want myself to be like this on my dreams. I do not possess the qualities of an excellent teacher. I wanted myself to be a simple teacher whom everybody can approach me every time they want. However, I want to be an effective teacher. I believe that an effective teacher doesn’t want her students to be scared or afraid when they would approach her because they are told to do so or because they badly needed it. a teacher want her classroom to be child-friendly, not only physically but atmospherically. She wanted them to feel that they are welcome to learn. She wanted them to take pleasure in learning without any pressures at all because I believe that they will learn if they will enjoy what they are doing. She wants them to have fun while learning. Because I believe that at their age, play is an important part of their childhood, games and engagement might hook up their interest in learning. However, I believe that before making them very active and enthusiastic in every activity, an effective teacher wants them also to be rule-abider. A classroom with rules and regulation would prepare them to be disciplined people in the future.
Furthermore, I believe that for a teacher to become effective, she should not have to be very focused on the academic performance of her students. She should not base their intelligence on the quantitative measure of their paper and pencil test. Thus, she should observe their individualities, and interest. An effective teacher gives every child an opportunity to harness their potentials. I want to be a teacher in a classroom that would accommodate the individual differences and multiple intelligences. I believe that every child has each latent talents and skills to be awakened. Each has their own to improve. Thus, when a student feels that his skills are given an attention by the teacher, he would help himself to be improved. Through little things that a teacher does to her students, it would make him feel that somebody believes in him. This would be the start of uplifting their self esteem and self-confidence to dream bigger and brighter.
Teaching indeed involves touching the lives of others. You are not a successful teacher if you have not inspired others. They said that you could not gain anything from teaching but I daresay that when you teach, it is like you are changing the world for good. You may not see your reward but you can definitely feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment